v1.02 An MFC class to encapsulate the Windows Version API
This simple little class encapsulates the SDK calls which
access version info from Win32 files. Most executables and DLL's have a
VS_VERSION_INFO resource associated with them and this class provides a simple
MFC class to programmatically access this information.
- Code is UNICODE enabled and
build configurations are provided.
- All code compiles cleanly at
- Small footprint, total size
amounts to just c. 300 lines of code.
The enclosed zip file contains
the CVersionInfo source code, documentation and a simple MFC
dialog based app which allows the version info details of any file to be
- You are allowed to include the source code in
any product (commercial, shareware, freeware or otherwise) when your product
is released in binary form.
- You are allowed to modify the source code in
any way you want except you cannot modify the copyright details at the top
of each module.
- If you want to distribute source code with
your application, then you are only allowed to distribute versions released
by the author. This is to maintain a single distribution point for the
V1.0 (10 April 2000)
V1.01 (7 July 2006)
- Updated copyright details
- Updated the code to clean compile on VC 2005
- Addition of CVERSIONINFO_EXT_CLASS and CVERSIONINFO_EXT_API macros to allow
the class to be easily added to an extension DLL.
- Optimized CVersionInfo constructor code
- Reviewed all TRACE statements for correctness
- Updated the documentation to use the same style as the web site.
V1.02 (14 September 2008)
- Updated copyright details.
- Code now compiles cleanly using Code Analysis (/analyze)
- Updated code to compile correctly using _ATL_CSTRING_EXPLICIT_CONSTRUCTORS
- Updated sample app to clean compile on VC 2008
- The code has now been updated to support VC 2005 or later only.
- Removed VC 6 style AppWizard comments from the code.
- Reworked code to use ATL::CHeapPtr for required memory allocations